Senior Registry Officer (Student Fees & Funding)
Full Time - Permanent - High Wycombe
Salary - £37,099 - £41,732
Buckinghamshire New University is an ambitious, modern university that is always open to fresh ideas and thinking. We believe in the transformative power of education, and in doing the right thing by our students, people and local community. That's why our BNU community is a special place to work and study, and where people who want to make a difference can contribute and succeed.
Our University's DRIVE values are at the heart of all that we do. We are united in being dynamic, responsible, inclusive, visionary and empowering to ensure that we provide the best experience to our learners and offer excellent service to our partners and to each other as colleagues. Our commitment to these values is unwavering and they are central to our mission. We encourage applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries and we are happy to discuss any reasonable adjustments that you require.
BNU continues to experience rapid growth in student numbers, making us one of the fastest-growing higher education providers. This is an exciting time to join the University as we invest significantly in estate developments and welcome Jay Blades MBE as our inaugural Chancellor.
It's an exciting time to be joining the Student Records, Data & Fees/Funding Team in this fast-growing area. An opportunity has now arisen for a skilled, experienced and motivated individual to join Buckinghamshire New University as a Senior Registry Officer to lead and manage the Student Fees and Funding team, working with them to administer student fees and funding activity for the University. This will include (not exclusively) ensuring invoicing is carried out efficiently and in good time, undertaking notifications to the Student Loans Company, running the university's Fee Setting process, sponsor management, supporting NHS funding contracts, responding to and dealing with fees and funding queries from students.
You must be organised, have a good eye for detail, be able to prioritise workloads as appropriate and be able to operate under pressure in a fast- moving and changing environment. Previous experience and knowledge of Higher education funding is essential.
What we offer:
Please click here to see our wide range of benefits available for employees. Please click here for our behavioural based interview question bank. Please click here to view our employee handbook.
If you have the qualities and attributes representative of the University's values and ambition, we would be delighted to hear from you.
For further information about this role please contact Richard Shepherd on [email protected].
All applications are to be made in full and online, and include a supporting statement of how your skills, knowledge and experience meet the criteria in the job description and person specification.
BNU is proud to have a diverse community and a strong track record of diversity, equity and inclusion. Our aim is to continue to build an environment where everyone thrives and can be themselves. We therefore ensure that our interview/shortlisting Chairs complete the relevant e-learning and/or inclusive recruitment training.
We therefore particularly encourage applications from candidates who are likely to be underrepresented in BNU'S workforce. These include people from global majority backgrounds, disabled people, and LGBTQI+ people, particularly in more senior roles.
Closing Date: 3 March 2024
Interview Date: W/C 18 March 2024
If you are successful in securing an interview for the role, you will be required to provide proof of eligibility to work in the UK.
BNU is a Disability Confident employer and as such you will be given the opportunity to declare a disability as part of the application process. The University is also committed to achieving the Race Equality Charter.
£37,099 - £41,732
Hours per week
Job Title: Senior Registry Officer (Student Fees & Funding)
Faculty/Directorate: Academic Registry
Location: High Wycombe
Hours: Full Time
Responsible to: Head of Student Records, Data & Fees/Funding
Line Management responsibility for the following posts:
2.0 FTE Senior Registry Administrator (Student Fees & Funding)
1.0 FTE Registry Administrator (Student Fees & Funding)
The postholder, along with the Senior Registry Officer (Student Records & Data), is responsible for supporting the Head of Section in the management and leadership of the Student Records, Data & Fees/Funding Section. They will also deputise for the Head of Section in their absence.
The postholder will supervise the Student Fees & Funding team, working with them to administer student fees and funding activity for the University. This will include (not exclusively) ensuring invoicing is carried out efficiently and in good time, undertaking notifications to Student Loans Company, running the university's Fee Setting process, sponsor management, supporting NHS funding contracts, responding to and dealing with fees and funding queries from students.
The post holder will also oversee and develop student fees and funding processes and procedures, including any communication and/or training materials needed to enable students and staff to understand and follow those processes.
Overall, the postholder will be responsible for effectively supervising activity to ensure prioritisation and action of workloads as appropriate. They will also ensure that the team delivers a high level of student fees and funding related customer service to provide an optimal student experience.
The postholder will practice an inclusive approach and support building an inclusive university community where people can be themselves.
Main Duties & Responsibilities of the role:
1. Support the Head of Section in the management and leadership of the Student Records, Data & Fees/Funding Section, deputising for the Head of Section when necessary, delivering against medium to long-term objectives of the Team.
2. To manage the day-to-day operations relating to student fees and funding requirements for the University, being responsible for the high-quality service delivery of the Student Fees & Funding team and function.
3. To manage the day-to-day queries relating to student fees and funding, primarily from students but also from staff and external bodies such as fee sponsors. This will require providing specialist advice and guidance in the Student Fees & Funding area, demonstrating knowledge of appropriate systems, policies, regulations or legislation. Respond appropriately to unusual or unforeseen problems.
4. To manage the ongoing invoicing of all student fees, with particular attention to be paid to main invoicing periods around enrolment periods.
5. To act as a key liaison with the Student Loans Company (SLC), and to manage the ongoing confirmation of registration and student attendance data with the SLC.
6. To manage other student funding body relationships, information and administration and act as key liaison where required, e.g. NHS CPD contracts, sponsors, US federal student loans.
7. Identify changes and trends within the Student Fees & Funding area and recommend appropriate course(s) of action.
8. Gather and critically evaluate information to support decision making in the annual fee setting process and manage the ongoing maintenance, updating and checking of the University's fee schedule.
9. To manage and maintain the portfolio of student fee discounts, ensuring clarity of communication and accuracy of application.
10. To manage the maintenance of student fees and funding information on the University's web pages, student portal and staff portal/intranet, ensuring that accurate and appropriate information is always displayed.
11. To organise and support the annual fee-setting process for the University, including the preparation of data for consideration, and liaison with Schools to receive their proposals for specific fee-level requests.
12. To instil and encourage a culture of continuous improvement within the Student Fees & Funding team, enhancing and improving processes and mitigating or eliminating risks. Liaise and collaborate with other areas of the University to improve service provision.
13. To maintain regular and effective communication with all key staff, notably in Directorates and Schools, regarding the awareness of all relevant deadlines, processes, statutory requirements and other important information.
14. Line management responsibilities including recruitment and selection, performance management, professional development, motivation, health & safety and wellbeing.
15. Supervisory duties including motivating and supporting team members, giving direction and feedback, and ensuring adequate staffing cover. Plan and co-ordinate the work of consultants or contractors as required.
16. Respond appropriately to unusual or unforeseen problems, sharing knowledge with colleagues in or outside of immediate team.
17. Additionally, the post holder will be expected to support the wider activities of the Academic Registry and University, including:
18. Comply with relevant legislative and other requirements (e.g., the Data Protection Act 2018 and GDPR; Health and Safety; UKVI; and Equality and Diversity) in all working practices.
19. Such other duties temporarily or on a continuing basis, as may reasonably be required.
A = Application T = Test I = Interview
Education, Qualifications & Training
Means of Testing
Degree standard of education.
Relevant student fees and funding process training.
Knowledge & Experience
Substantial experience of student fees and funding processes and procedures in a Higher Education setting.
Experience of carrying out student fees and funding activities in a Higher Education setting.
Thorough understanding of relationship between universities and organisations such as the Student Loans Company.
Experience of policy and process creation, implementation and enhancement.
Demonstrable experience of solving complex problems
Excellent communication, networking and presentation skills that establish trust and credibility with students and staff at all levels.
Excellent customer service skills.
Excellent IT skills and experience of using technology to support and enhance processes and the user experience.
Analytical skills to support the management, sorting and analysis of large amounts of data
Ability to deal with difficult and/or sensitive and challenging people/situations.
Willingness to work flexible hours as required.
BBF (Top 3 key behavioural categories most applicable to the role)
Delivering Excellent Service
Making every contact count by providing the best quality service to all our customers (internal, students and all our stakeholders). Building genuine and open long-term relationships in order to drive up customer service standards.
Being open to and engaging with new ideas and ways of working. Adjusting to unfamiliar situations, shifting demands and changing roles
Using Resources Effectively
Identifying and making the most productive use of resources including people, time, information, networks and budgets
£37,099 - £41,732
Hours per week
Senior Registry Officer (Student Fees & Funding)
Buckinghamshire New University
February 09, 2024
March 03, 2024
Business and Economics,Education
About the employer
Buckinghamshire New University is a well-recognized public university, which is known for imparting quality education to students from all across the world. This institution of learning dates back to 1891 and was established as the School of Science and Art. Since then, it has been re-invented as the High Wycombe College of Technology and Art, the School of Science and Art, the Buckinghamshire College of Higher Education and the Wycombe Technical Institute. From 1999 until 2007, the institution served as a university college and was later announced to have gained the status of a university. All the campuses of the university are well-facilitated with amenities needed for a conducive learning environment. This is the institution that received a Gold accreditation for Corporate Social Responsibility in the year 2018. This standard of accreditation recognized the positive impact that the institution's staff and students made to improve the environment.
At present, there are a total of four campuses that are operated by the university. These impressive campuses are located in the towns of Uxbridge, High Wycombe, and Aylesbury. High Wycombe Campus serves as a thriving base for applied healthcare research and nursing students. A major development of this campus was undertaken by the university with a large structure, the Gateway Building. It features a fine mix of commercial-standard facilities such as a fitness center, labs, drama studios, sports hall, music recording studios, cafe, conference rooms, and others. Moreover, it has a motion capture system along with green screen facilities. At Buckinghamshire New University, there is a range of accommodation including managed houses, halls of residence and the student village to extend convenience to the students.
There are several undergraduates, postgraduate and professional courses featured by the institution for the students to choose from. Also, the university offers courses that are rare in British universities. One such course is Air Transport with Commercial Pilot Training, which offers an opportunity for the students to study for a professional pilot's license. There are innovative courses like Music Management and Film and Television Production. There is a course available in Animation and Visual Effects. Buckinghamshire New University is one of the few universities that have created a degree in Policing.
Additionally, it is one of the leading providers of nursing students in London. Apart from being popular for academic excellence, the university is also known for its notable alumni network. Some of the distinguished personalities of the alumni network of the institution include singer Rebecca Stephens, artist John Bolam, actor Chris Joyce, model, and actress Veronica Carlson and many others.