Classification InformationFLSA Non-Exempt
Position InformationPosition Title Police Communication Operator
Regular/Contingent Contingent Full or Part Time Full Time Standard Hours 40 Job Description
Job Summary: Under general supervision, performs police communications and related clerical work in a central communications center.
Essential Responsibilities: 1. Operates emergency telephones, two-way radios, teletype, telecommunications and computer terminal equipment, closed circuit televisions, remote control cameras, alarm and security systems.
2. Answers emergency telephone lines. Monitors and maintains radio communications.
3. Receives and records information and requests related to police services. Dispatches police officers. Notifies command, supervisory, and administrative personnel about incidents.
4. Transmits and receives telephonic communications with the surrounding local jurisdictions.
5. Operates specialized communications networking equipment and computer terminals. Accesses restricted law enforcement networks.
6. Obtains, inputs, and receives data related to police activities such as criminal history, warrants, and vehicle registration.
7. Monitors radio frequencies and transmissions of the Allied Law Enforcement Agencies, National Weather Service, and Maryland Civil Defense.
8. Relays information from field officers requesting back up and support services such as crime lab technicians, K-9 unit, emergency medical services, rescue, and fire equipment.
9. Maintains manual and computerized logs and prepares complaint control cards and reports.
10. Monitors safety and security systems, reports malfunctions as appropriate, and dispatches appropriate personnel to alarm site.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
Education: High School Diploma or GED
Experience: Two (2) years clerical or other related experience. Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Skill in the use of keyboards and office equipment. Ability to type accurately; to learn emergency communications work; to learn applicable procedures and regulations; to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; to react calmly, quickly, and decisively in emergency situations; to obtain, summarize and relay information orally and in writing; to follow oral and written instructions; to write legibly; to monitor multiple radio frequencies. OTHER : Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
Preferred Qualifications Conditions of Employment
Applicants must submit to and successfully pass a comprehensive background investigation. This is an onsite position.Position Detail Information
Position Detail InformationPosting Number ST2023-0032
Position End Date (if temporary) 06/20/2024 Open Date 05/10/2023 Close Date 05/31/2023 Open Until Filled No Special Instructions to Applicant
COVID-19 vaccinations are strongly encouraged for all University employees. Medical and religious exemption request are accepted and are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Please submit any/all documents related to this matter to [email protected].Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk ().
Police Communication Operator
Coppin State University
May 25, 2023
May 31, 2023
Computer Science,Social Science